Rohith K C
Professor & H.O.D
DEPARTMENT OF BIOTECHNOLOGY
The Department of Biotechnology was established in 2004, presently headed by Dr. Rohit K C with an overall experience of 18 years. The Department imparts education to equip students with advanced skills compatible to the needs of Biotech industry and academia. The courses offered are: B.E., MSc. (Engg.) and PhD in Biotechnology. Keeping in view the interdisciplinary nature of Biotechnology, the curricula offers an engineering base encompassing courses from Life science, chemical engineering, computer science, Electronics engineering, mechanical engineering, management, mathematics, statistics, physics and professional development so as to enable students to work not only in the Biotech industries but also in other firms.
The Department has a team of Eight dedicated and experienced faculty members with reputed backgrounds, specializing in different areas of biotechnology and chemical engineering. Two of them are Doctorate holders & other four are at the virtue of completing their Doctorate degree.
There is also an active research team with thrust areas which include Bio-chemical & Bio-process Engineering, Plant Biotechnology, Fermentation Technology, Enzyme technology, Microbiology and Immuno-technology, Environmental Biotechnology and Bioinformatics etc. with more than TWO hundred publications in various National and International journals of peer review.
The department has been declared as a Research Center by Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU), Belagavi. Currently, around ten Ph.D scholars are pursuing their degree in the department. The students are provided an opportunity to do research projects which helps them to handle independent projects to gain practical exposure. Department has received research funds from VGST, KSCST & AGASTHYA FOUNDATION. Also, department has industry interaction with Genie pvt ltd, Chlorobios, Clintrac pvt ltd, Stelixir, Genelon and so on.
Over the years, the department has earned TEN VTU ranks in university examination and many students are placed well by cracking competitive exams like GATE, GRE, GMAT, CAT etc. Also, our students are working in reputed Biotech giants namely Biocon, Kemwell, Molecular connections, Gangagen, Quintiles (IQVIA), Stelixier etc., and other IT companies.
Department has equally contributed in several extracurricular events and conducted many activities namely “Parishudh”, “Biobuzz”, “Biojathre” and publishes dept newsletter “ANVESHANA” under “SHRISTI”- a BT students forum.
Also, our students have represented university in different Inter university tournaments pan India. Mr. Harish represented Kabbadi team, VTU, Ms. Harshitha H C participated in VTU Ball badminton & Ms. Priyanka R represented Women’s wrestling team of VTU & all of them made us proud.
To be an eminent department in the field of Biotechnology education and research, appareled to build graduates who enterprise for creating better tomorrow.
- Creating state-of-the-art infrastructure for education and research in Biotechnology sector.
- To induct life long professional growth and different range of Career avenues for Biotechnology engineers.
- Endorse collaborations with industries, research organizations and academia with sustainable technologies at national and international levels.
- To establish awareness among graduates towards socio-ethical and legal implications of Biotechnology.
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES (PEOS)
PEO1: Students will be lucrative professionals in different sectors of Biotechnology fields with high proficiency in multidisciplinary tasks.
PEO2: Operate technically at competent level in concocting problems of biotechnology and utilize the knowledge to develop Biological processes and bio-techniques.
PEO3: Students will endure higher education with harmonious combination of the skills of engineering, management & life science.
PEO4: Students will inculcate Scio-ethical values, exhibit professionalism, team spirit for lifelong learning and well-being of society and mankind.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOMES (PSOs):
- Demonstrate engineering and life science knowledge for understanding complex biotechnological processes and apply these to manage projects and multidisciplinary tasks.
- Develop novel methodologies by applying modern engineering techniques for designing and production of biological molecules.
- Exploit practical skills and professionalism to execute research work effectively as an individual or as a member in teams.
- Bestow different engineering principles to analyze problems and own the responsibility relevant to the professional engineering practice for societal sustainability.
- Impart and acknowledge personal skills with professional ethics for lifelong professional improvement.